Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Buon appetite! (Italy)

Naples (3)

I was always so anxious to pull into a port no matter where we were in the world. It was always so refreshing, exciting and so surreal to wrap my head around knowing we were in a brand new country so often…and then sometimes even a new continent.

This morning in mid April we pulled into the stunning port of Napoli, Italy…and this was the sight I was pleased to witness.

I had only really dreamed of Italy…never thought I would step foot there; I never really had a burning desire to go here but I’m so happy I did and so happy I experienced what I did while there. Again, my spectacular friend Brianna and I stepped off the ship and of course I felt so compelled to dress proper and lovely…and so we did.

Naples (20)

   We walked around and came upon this stunning creation of a building…filled my senses with awe. The history mixed with the beauty of the buildings in Italy really amazed me…and come to learn this was only the beginning. My eyes were about to feast on some of the most marvelous works of art.

Here is the Galleria Umberto Naples (14)

Naples (19)

The Galleria Umberto is a public shopping center and was built between 1887 and 1891…this is one of the most luxurious looking shopping centers I’ve ever encountered. Now isn’t she just stunning?

Now as I write this months after…I have finally reflected on all of it…and by golly Italy is just lovely looking. I feel it’s only appropriate that I listen to peaceful orchestra music while I write…it get’s me in the mood.

While wandering around Napoli we were just observing every aspect of Italy and soaking it all in all while enjoying each other’s company to the utmost.  And this is where Brianna and I indulged into a ‘life-business meeting’ this is where we discussed aspects of our lives we wanted more of or less of and tweaked everything in between. It was a meeting of the minds…it shall remain with us what all was discussed and be used in our lives again!

We were in the mood for some kind of Italian treat…we wanted to get the full experience '”what would a local do?” So we came upon this little café…coffee shop…bakery…Oh dear. Well we wanted something to quench our thirst…something sweet…something savory. Hmm okay, it definitely wasn’t what we expected…pictures are always different than real life. hahah..So this is what we received. Naples (24) 

It was definitely lovely looking…wasn’t what we were expecting and this is where you learn to not have any expectations because you have no idea what you’re going to get. OH…and the water in Italy is not ‘normal’ water…it’s bubbly…S. Pellegrino. I am not a fan of this water. First of all, I was thirsty and grabbed my nice tall glass of water…ooh yes, and I took a nice gulp Ahhhh bubbles!! Haha, I’m sure it would have been tasty if I were expecting it. Again…I shouldn’t have had so many expectations. Oh and you see in the corner a bit of our Italian currency…ze Euro.

A view from our ‘business meeting’ seats….Naples (22)

I couldn’t help myself but to take photos of the streets and the people and the bikes…ohh the amounts of Vespa's was crazy. Naples (29)Naples (41)Naples (43)

 

Everywhere I looked I saw all kinds of display’s like these two stacked with Italian goodies There really was so much to see and so many photos taken.

 

You know that snarl that is given from people in Italy? Here…let me show you…Naples (47)

This was such a common look I got from people walking on the streets…to be honest a lot of the people I came encounter with I wasn’t pleased with the way they looked at me…I suppose maybe because I was an American? Nahh…maybe it was the bright white hair I had…or it could have been the rather large smile I constantly had on my face? Naples (69)

 

 

 

Either way…I tried to emulate the gals above…Naples (37)

All in good fun.

Okay quick fast-forward to the rest of the day in Napoli!

 

 

 

 

 

Naples (82)I spent the rest of the day with my lovely, Aristotle…Oh my goodness did we have so much fun together. He treated me to an authentic PIZZA in Napoli…BEST.PIZZA.EVER. At this lovely restaurant located outside and just a quick walk from the ship. Naples (75)

 

 

 

Naples (87)

Oh my goodness and we came upon the most adorable little girl and her grandfather…I couldn’t help myself but my heart was smiling so much and needed to capture it. Naples (129)

 

 

When you think of Italy…what are two most important things you think of?

Pizza….and….GELATO. Why of course…

We had to experience this. Naples (150)

 

 

 

Naples (94)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s a few views of the streets that were all around us…Naples (102)Naples (101)

 

 Naples (198)

Yes…I did have share romance in Italy…oh it was lovely.

Then we come to Civitavecchia, Italy…which isn’t too far from Rome. Aristotle and I bundled up and hopped off the ship and onto a train to Rome. We were both just ecstatic and so excited to experience Rome in person! Can you even tell we were the least bit excited?!

Rome (2)

 

Roma…Roma…ROMA!!! Here we are! Another thing I have to share with you…oh my, I swear I gained 10 pounds just traveling the couple days we were in Italy…Carb City…holy moly.

 Rome (17)

Statues…Sculptures…Basilica…Pure beauty…Oh my!

Rome (26)Rome (28)

Truly…there is so much to talk about from what I experienced in Roma…but the pictures really can explain a lot of what we saw…and fully indulged in the beauty of it all.Rome (41)

Does this mean that we would receive this driver if I were to call this number to rent a Vespa? Ohhh, Rome. Rome (46)

 

 

 

We walked all around Roma…of course had some more pizza, gelato and the lovely cappuccinos! Aris was so sweet to buy me a rose…haha actually he was very embarrassed from the man who forced the roses upon us. They were so pretty though. Haha.

Rome (64)Rome (67)

Rome (83)Spanish Steps were so beautiful…it was incredibly crowded and we wanted to just take it destination by destination…nice and slow because it was my day off and I didn’t want to be rushed so Aris and I just enjoyed it to the fullest!

 

Once we went to the Spanish Steps….we navigated our way around and then found the Fontana di Trevi. WOW.

And then this is where I have zero expectations…and I truly have no idea what I’m about to come upon.

 

Rome (105)Rome (122)Rome (121)

The legend of tossing a coin over your shoulder into the Fontana di Trevi…at 85 feet high and 65 feet wide, it’s the biggest fountain in the entire city of Rome. “The original legend says that if you throw a coin into the Trevi – with your back to the fountain, throwing the coin with your right hand over your left shoulder – that will ensure a return to Rome.” To be honest I didn’t know any of this really until we came upon the Trevi Fountain…we just rolled with it I suppose.

Then of course I enjoy myself with more cappuccino! 

Rome (154) And….some pizza and pasta. Rome (155)

Italy was such a beautiful experience…thought I did see many tourist places…and places where locals hang out…I am not sure that I have a desire to come back to Italy…but then again, anything can happen! Ciao, Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment