Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Kusadasi...Turkish Coffee?


Kuşadası Turkey....What a beautiful sight to pull into bright and early in the morning. That was probably one of the biggest highlights working on the ship...being able to witness the stunning sunrises first thing in the morning.

Once we pulled into Turkey after a nice hard workout...I ventured off the ship to a very uncommonly known coffee shop...Starbucks...I yanked the free internet and contacted some loved ones from home for a bit before I met up with Brianna. One of the unfortunate things on the ship is the cost of internet access or phone access...it costs a bit to actually try to contact people from home so I took advantage of free internet access off of the ship.


 The popular thing that was buzzing all around the ship before pulling into Turkey was the Turkish Bath...unfortunately I was unable to participate in this experience. What occurs in the experience you ask? Well...basically from what I've gathered, it is similar to a steam room/sauna where you can either go full nude or with your bathing suit on and somebody washes your body as well as receive a massage. Turkish baths are a method of cleansing the body and relaxation.


Instead of getting the Turkish bath experience....I ran into a lovely gentleman who helped me first time the turkish bath and as they didn't take visa cards I figured it wasn't meant for me to get a slippery relaxing rubdown.








So instead I went to this lovely restaurant/bar with this gentleman and his friend ended up owning it and treated us to a cappuccino for me and a beer for him...as well as this beautiful fruit platter. It was really such a pleasant experience spending time with some of the local Turkish men. 

Oh my goodness and one thing I forgot to mention...the title of this entry...Turkish coffee??
AHHH. Strongest most intense type of coffee, EVER. I think maybe you could compare it to something like a 'depth charge' here in the states. Anyhow...Brianna and I ordered one at Starbucks that was paid for by our dear friend, Raddy, may he Rest In Peace.
It was very potent...and I had that as well as a latte so I was wired for the rest of the time. But we let the turkish coffee sit for a bit, for it was scorching hot...we let it sit, and then I went to swish it around a bit (like it were a glass of red wine, haha) well then i took a sip and about spit it right in Brianna's face...Ahhh all the coffee grounds were at the bottom or something, it was not a nice experience. Happy I experienced it though. Ha!



Here is the luxury and oh so elegant cruise ship I was placed on. Ms Amsterdam with Holland America Line. I wandered off the ship further and went for a nice refreshing, cleansing walk and this was a nice view of the ship I needed to capture.


I would love to come back to Turkey and explore more into it and possibly go to Ephesus...which was quite the hot spot to travel to I hear. XO Cheers & Love.













 

1 comment: